Wednesday, November 28, 2007

EEK! A Shrub!

While making our morning rounds, Beyla's attention was noticably grabbed by something unseen in my neighbor's yard. I figured she saw a squirrel or something that had already scampered off, nudged her forward, and continued about surveying our morning domain.

On our way back her attention once again fixed in the same area of the neighbor's yard. OK, this can't be coincidence so I start letting her move in the direction she's looking to see what it is she sees. Being a foolish human of such obviously limited perception I'm of course looking in the yard for this object of canine fascination only to realize she's locked on to the shrub right near the street. They'd wrapped it for the winter. OK, something changed. Big deal, right? Well, she begins to approach her spritely prey with great caution, perhaps for fear it might attack. Who knows, I'm not a dog. I can't even imagine how she must be perceiving this innocently wrapped shrub.

When she gets within 3 feet of it she let's out a soft "Woof!" then runs away a good 10 feet. I start laughing like a fool on the side of the road while letting her once again cautionly, though somewhat more bravely this time, approach this new and fascinating thing. After the usual sniffing she decides it of no concern and hasn't looked back since.

Dogs. What goes on in their minds? I suspect if we knew that, we'd know a great deal more about life and it's meaning. I think they may secretly hold the wisdom that is the key to it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home