Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Shimmering Forest



Kari took today off. I'll admit it, I tried to pawn off today's walk to get a little extra sleep. But alas, she wouldn't budge on this point, and rightly so. The weekday morning walks are my job and I DO enjoy them. Luckily for me, she stuck to her guns (and her pillow) and I was rewarded with woodland beauty the likes of which are rarely seen.



As we headed off into the forest I began noticing all the pine saplings are heavy with a thin layer of ice. This in itself is a beautiful sight. For all it's treachery, ice has a way of making things shimmer in a truly unique way. But the best was yet to come.



On our return trip the sun broke over the trees across the marsh and set the ice ablaze in golden light. Absolutely amazing. That's the only description I can offer. I managed to snap a couple of decent pictures but they don't do the effect justice. Here's one of them.




It's such a strange thing that the very thing that will bring an end to ice in less than an hour is also the only thing that can set it off with such grand style.



I'm glad we were there to see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home